Art for Self Care
For me, Process Painting, Mandala Making, Intuitive Drawing, Painting to Music, Breathlines, and Art Journaling all fall into the realm of healing and contemplative arts — which makes them absolutely ideal when you’re looking for an arts practice to immerse yourself that’s restorative, and “process-based” (as opposed to “art lessons” to develop a specific skill or a ‘project’ like when you’re creating a body of work).
Each of these processes emphasizes the letting go of painting as ‘product’ or painting as ‘possession,’ so you can explore painting as a process of self-discovery and allowing.
These approaches to art-making may be attractive if you:
- have been taking beginner art lessons and are now wondering “what’s next?”
- have been painting for a while and you want to do something other than paint from photos
- want to approach your art from a deeper, freer, more personal, more self-aware place
- have never done any artwork at all, ever — you’ve always wanted to but find the idea of “lessons” intimidating
- are struggling with a transition or a sense of loss, grief, or loneliness
- have become disenchanted about something and are experiencing a sense of alienation, frustration or discontent
- have been feeling weary due to caregiving demands
- have been feeling overwhelmed by the pressures of working in caring professions, such as healthcare, community and social services, occupational therapy, or teaching (actually feeling work-weary, overwhelmed and burned out can happen in almost any career!)
A Healing & Contemplative arts practice promotes resilience and well-being, and when approached as part of a program of “extreme self-care” can help you recover from burnout-depression.
Painting to Music
Mandala: Spirit Friends & Personal Totems
Mandala: Journey to the Centre
Mandala: Light and Luminescent Colour
Incorporates guided autobiography, reflective writing exercises, poetry, journal writing, painting, mark-making and collage during the process of making an altered book or hand-made book/journal as you explore life transitions, significant markers and meaningful discoveries at various points on our life path. Best completed over a series of sessions; sessions tailored to you and your group, and your intention.